As-Salaam Alaykum, Greetings Reader,
Crème Pâtissiere / Pastry Cream / Thick Custard is used in many desserts such as fruits tarts, vanilla custard slices and my childhood favourite good ol’ jelly and custard!
Crème Pâtissiere / Pastry Cream / Thick Custard
Recipe adapted from Paul Hollywood’s Vanilla Custard Slice
- 500ml / 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure (halal) vanilla bean paste or 1 vanilla bean, split down the middle and seeds scraped out
- 100g or 1/2 cup sugar (I used granulated)
- 4 large or 5 mixed weight eggs, yolks only
- 40g OR 1/3 cup corn flour
- Medium size saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
- Silicone / heatproof balloon whisk
- Teaspoon or pairing knife to scrape out vanilla seeds
- Measuring cup or jug
- Weighing Scales
Remove from heat and if your custard is lumpy, pass it through a sieve into a clean bowl.
To store: Cover surface of pastry cream with cling film, ensuring there is no gap between the custard and the cling film or a skin will form (not pleasant). Place in fridge until you required.
* For an extra rich and smooth custard – mix in 40grams of unsalted butter after removing the custard from the heat.