In order for me to be a more productive blogger I’ve decided to let go of the DSLR every now and again and use my phone instead.
The flavours inside the aubergine rolls are fruity and slightly sour from pomegranate and it’s molasses, warming from ginger and cayenne and then you have toasted walnuts – my absolute favourite nut. I wasn’t sure I liked what seems such a contrast of flavours but something (not just my ravenous appetite) made me come back again and again.
Try the recipe and let me know what YOU think.
- 2 large Aubergine, trimmed
- olive oil, for brushing/ drizzling
- ground black pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 50 grams toasted walnuts, roughly chopped (reserve 1 tbsp to garnish)
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- fresh ginger 2 ½ cm piece, peeled and grated
- small handful parsley, chopped
- 50 grams fresh pomegranate seeds (reserve 1 tbsp to garnish)
- cayenne a pinch
- Heat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7.
- Slice each aubergine into five or six slices lengthways. Keep the outside slices for the filling and use the nice, long, inside slices for the rolls. Brush a baking tray with oil and place the nice inside slices flat on it. Drizzle with some more oil and season with sea salt and black pepper. Roast in the oven for 12 minutes, then turn the tray around to ensure the slices cook evenly. Roast for another 8-12 minutes until they are golden and soft. Set aside to cool.
- While the slices are in the oven, peel the onion and dice finely. Cut the aubergine trimmings (the outside slices) into equal-size cubes. Fry the onion in the oil over a medium heat until it starts to soften, then add the diced aubergine and salt. Cook until the aubergine is very soft. Remove the pan from the stove and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well and season to taste.
- Place a large spoonful of the filling at one end of each roasted aubergine slice and roll them into thick sausages. Place the filled aubergine rolls in an ovenproof serving dish. If you have a little filling left over, spread it around the edges of the dish. Place in the oven for 5 minutes to warm through before serving. Sprinkle the warmed rolls with the reserved walnuts and pomegranate seeds and serve 2-3 rolls per person.
Adapted from Honey & Co