When you want a quick meal that is moderately healthy, try this easy Harissa Tuna Pasta Salad.
Yes I’m here with yet another pasta dish. This one is super simple and shouts Spring / Summer.
While we are slowly preparing ourselves for the upcoming Ramadan – month of fasting that will soon be upon us. We are also welcoming new members into the family over this next month.
One of my sister in law’s welcomed her first child, a little girl into the world 10 days ago. While another is due to give birth any day now and my newest sister in law will welcome her first child during Ramadan bithnillah. Exciting, joyous and busy times lay ahead!
While this isn’t like my usual Algerian Ramadan recipes. It fits the bill in many ways of what a Ramadan recipe should be.
Harissa Tuna Pasta Salad is:
- Quick to make
- Can be prepared a few hours in advance
- Reasonably healthy
- Easily transportable in a Tupperware box. Think about all those breaking their fast whilst at work. Also great to take along to an Iftar at a family / friends home.
- Easily adaptable to what salad vegetables you have in your fridge. Think finely chopped celery, sweet peppers, grated carrot etc.
Outside of Ramadan this pasta salad is ideal Lunch time food.
The type of pasta you use is up to you, I recommend Penne or Fusilli. You can also use whole wheat or a gluten-free pasta for a healthier pasta salad.
While I like my tinned Tuna in tomato sauce, I’m aware it’s not available everywhere. You can use Tuna in oil (preferably olive oil) or even spring water. Make sure to drain most of the oil/all of the water from the can before using here.
If you are making this with children in mind, use only a ½ tsp of harissa. If not 1tsp or more if you dare!
Harissa Tuna Pasta Salad
A quick, easy and moderately healthy tuna pasta salad with a spicy twist, Harissa – North African hot chilli pepper paste.
- 75 g Penne Pasta, dry (Cooked according to instructions on packaging)
- 1 drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 65 g canned Tuna (in tomato sauce)
- ½-1 tsp Harissa
- ¼ medium Cucumber (Peeled & Chopped)
- ¼ medium Fresh Tomato (Chopped)
- 3 Green Olives (Pitted, quarted)
- 1 Spring Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tbsp canned Sweetcorn
- Fresh Coriander Leaves (Finely chopped)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain pasta and toss with olive oil, cover and allow to cool.
- Add cooled pasta to a serving dish. Top with Tuna and Harissa. Stir together to combine.
- Add salad ingredients.
- Stir to Combine.
- Top with coriander leaves and serve.
The salad can be prepared a few hours in advance and refrigerated until ready to serve.