Easy & Light Lemon Coriander Chicken Couscous
Being a sucker for all things lemon and my favourite herb being coriander it was destiny (masha’Allah) I put the two together.
I’ve been eating a lot of chicken lately and it’s the perfect carrier for this flavour combo, well I’ve never heard of a lemon and coriander cake, have you?!
As much as I’m a fan of steamed couscous, I understand not everyone owns a couscoussier or even has time for that method so today I’m taking the easy route with pleasing results of a lightcan marinate the chicken for up to 8 hours for most flavour, then again if you haven’t got time an hour will be enough so the flavours get ‘acquainted’.
- 300 grams Halal chicken thigh, diced into 2cm chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1/2 heaped teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 5 coriander stems, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- fine sea salt & ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 spring onions, chopped and divided
- small handful frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fine couscous
- 1 cup water, boiled
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- coriander leaves
- a few reserved chopped spring onion (greens only)
- In a small bowl stir marinade ingredients together, add chicken stir to coat then cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 8 hours, minimum 1 hour.
- Pre-heat your oven’s grill to high meanwhile start the couscous. Place oil in a medium sized saucepan over low-medium heat, add spring onions reserving a few of the chopped greens for garnish, fry until softened, a few minutes.
- Place chicken on pre-heated grill pan and then under grill, cook until done (about 10-12 minutes) turn and baste every 5 minutes with the little of the marinade that is leftover.
- Once the spring onions have softened, add peas and cook for another few minutes, reduce heat to low add the spices and seasonings stir for 1 minute, add couscous stir for another minute then add boiled water, cover with lid and switch off the heat. Leave covered for 5 minutes or until your chicken is fully cooked.
- Once everything is cooked, fluff couscous with a fork. Place couscous on a plate then top with grilled chicken pieces. Garnish with coriander leaves, spring onion greens and a squeeze of lemon juice.
1 cup in uk = 250ml leave grill door half open throughout cooking process