This template is back from my school days when i studied food technology/home economics, we were tasked with designing a healthy cereal bar. The baker in me was graded a B and although i was keen on baking back in the day, i never thought of pursuing it as a career choice as i was also a bit of a science geek too,Which is funny because people say baking is a science!
Tomorrow i will post my Blackseed and Honey Oat bar recipe but until then here is the template recipe which it is based on
125g Butter/Margarine or 100g Vegetable fat/shortening
125ml Clear honey /Golden syrup/ Date syrup/ Agave nectar/ Maple syrup etc or a combination
75g Brown sugar (light or dark)
Rolled oats/ Crushed branflakes/ Muesli mix / Puffed rice cereal, OR Crushed biscuit crumbs/ Popcorn etc
25g Chopped nuts or seeds
Peanuts/ Hazlenuts/ Walnuts/ Cashews/ Almonds/ Chestnuts/ Pistachios/ Pine Nuts/ Brazil Nuts/ Shredded Coconut/ Sunflower seeds/ Watermelon seeds/ Pupmkin seeds/ Sesame seeds(Tahini paste would work too) or any other that takes your fancy
25g Dried Fruit
Sultanas/ Figs/ Dates/ Raisins/ Currants/ Apricot/ Apple/ Peach/ Pear/ Banana chips/ Candied Peel/ Glace cherries, pineapple/ Pomegranate or Passion fruit pips and pulp
Other Flavourings you might like to try
Stem Ginger, Chocolate chips, Vanilla, Lemon, Lime, Orange Zest, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Coca, Coffee Powder
YOU WILL NEED
Saucepan, wooden spoon, tablespoon,greased baking tray (18x28cm ideally) or foil dish, knife, cooling rack
- Set the oven to Gas 4/ 180C/ 160C Fan/ 350F
- Melt butter or alternative, honey/syrup and sugar in the saucepan over a low heat.
- Stir in the cereal, nuts/seeds, fruit and any other flavourings mix well.
- Spoon into a greased baking tray and smooth down/spread to an even consistancy.
- Bake for 20-30mins (bars should be golden with darker edges), cool for 2mins, cut into slices and remove from tray. Leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
You may want to coat the bars or layer them(depending on their thickness i.e. which size tray you use.)
Make these bars as healthy or indulgent as you desire. Experiment and enjoy something new for breakfast or snack throughout the day.