As-Salamu Alaikum Sisters / Greetings Reader,
I know, i know…i said i was taking a blogging break BUT i just couldn’t keep myself out of the kitchen (never thought i would be saying that) and so sharing this easy 2 layer mille feuille recipe was inevitable.
As you may be aware from previous posts, i have struggled recreating mille feuille – one of my most favourite bakery staples.
I discovered a while ago that most premade pastry contains alcohol (Haram/Unlawful to consume in islam) and while one may argue until the cows come home that the alcohol evaporates upon cooking i wanted to make sure i was using a completely halal product from the start.
So i got on my ‘high horse’ that would be me sat on the sofa writing an email to ‘Jus-Rol’ and i am pleased to report their frozen puff pastry blocks at the time of response and me writing this post (you never know things can change in an instance so please please always read the indredients list before purchasing) don’t contain alcohol and are suitable for vegetarians, yippeeee!
On to my rough around the edges recipe/guide to making easy 2 layer mille feuille.
Easy 2 Layer Mille Feuille
500g frozen jus-rol(can be any brand of choice) puff pastry block – defrosted in fridge overnight
Jam of choice
400ml double cream (i used 500ml and had some leftover) – whipped
- Pre-Heat Fan Oven to 200C
- On a lightly floured surface roll out your puff pastry block until it’s about 50 x 35cm 1/4cm thick.
- Divide in half (a ruler and sharp knife come in handy for this) and place each half on it’s own lined baking sheet and bake for on 2 middle racks your oven for 15-20minutes or until light golden in colour (you may wish to rotate the baking sheets half way through so you get even cooking and colouring)
- Remove puff pastry halves from oven, prick each, all over with a fork and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To divide up equally, place one puff pastry half on top of the other, trim any curvy edges and divide up (ruler and serrated knife) into 6 pairs each puff pastry pair being about 4-5cm wide and 15cm in length.
- To fill, spread jam of choice on each pastry ‘bottom’ half, pipe or spoon on whipped cream and place second pastry half on top. Dust with icing sugar and keep chilled until ready to serve.
Note: Make sure the flat side of bottom pastry half is on face down i.e. touching serving plate, so you top the rough side with jam and then make sure the flat side of top pastry half is facing up so it can get a nice dusting of icing sugar and this way the mille feuille not only look prettiest but they are more stable.